Five tips to grow succulents successfully indoor

I love Succulents and Cactus. I love how neat, fuss free, clean and most importantly pretty they look but I had always issue of keeping them alive. I mean I would buy them and in few weeks maybe a month or max two and it will go dead.

I had stopped buying succulents but I love them so much so I thought of giving it a second chance and in last one year I have added few, they are doing well this time , some of them even flowered, gave babies and even I have also propagated a few :)

5 tips to grow succulents indoor

I am no expert but I think slowly I have figured out few things that help them survive and grow :) So here are five things that I learned while growing them which can help you grow succulents successfully indoor:

1. Soil - Choosing the right soil is very important. It needs a we'll drained potting soil. In regular potting soil roots will start to rot as it will hold too much moisture. I use miracle grow soil for cactus and palm.


5 tips to grow succulents indoor

2. Choosing the right planter- what I learned is planting in shallow container works better than big dip containers as there will not be much extra soil to hold moisture. Make sure your planter has hole for drainage so extra water comes out and roots doesn't rot. That means do not start your succulent growing adventure with terrarium unless you are pro;)

5 tips to grow succulents indoor

3. Location- Cactus and Succulents like bright sunny location. Put them in the brightest location in you home and they will be very happy, nearby west or south facing window or windowsill.

5 tips to grow succulents indoor

4. Water : Be very careful of not to over water, yes succulents and cactus will require very less watering specially in winter months. May be once a week to ten days in summer and every 3-4 weeks in winter. So if you are forgetting to water your plants, succulents are perfect for you. After watering the plant don't let them sit in water, throw any extra water out that will come out.

5 tips to grow succulents indoor

5. Dress it up with small pebbles, stones : Not only they make your container look pretty but this will prevent from succulent leaves touching the soil and prevent rotting.

As I mentioned I am no expert but these are few things I have learned over the time to keep my succulents alive and thrive indoors, hope these will help you out. Is there any other tips for growing succulents that is working for you?Do share, would love to know :)

29 comments:

  1. Thanks Nayana for such a useful tips .I have only two succulent now i will try to have more with ur tips

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yours are beautiful too Swati...Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for wonderful post! These are great practical tips Nayana! I will try these tips this time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for wonderful post! Your succulents looks happy & healthy!

    These are great practical tips Nayana! I will try them this time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Manasa, definitely try, they do look very pretty :)

      Delete
  4. Love the donkey tail and your planters too :)
    I have 2 succulents myself and I agree with all you said :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful post Nayana. Definitely you did a great job providing lots of information about succulents.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice post.. I too have started experimenting with succulents !! Have started off with planting them in tea cups :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Madhura, I bet they look very beautiful in tea cups.

      Delete
  7. Very useful tips Nayana. Your beautiful pots made my otherwise hectic day. Keep writing and posting beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Reema :) your comment made my day :)

      Delete
  8. Good tips Nayana! I do struggle growing them and some times they click and at times they don't. Never was able to figure out what went wrong :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Prasanna. I think it also depends on which condition the plant is when we bought them, sometimes roots are already rotten when we get and it doesnt show its effect until few days. We think that something we did at home killed it.

      Delete
  9. A big "sigh" for me whenever I see love for plant lovers. For me, you are an expert Nayana, they look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing these tips. I am looking forward to spring to add more greens to my garden and indoors. Like your collection of pots. Question for you, do these pots have holes at the bottom? I recently started pottery and I plan to use all that I make as planters. Wondering if I should make holes at the bottom. Question 2, how do you handle the water that drains through those holes? Looks like you have kept a piece of cloth under the pots, just confirming.

    (I am in a mood to ask questions today ;) Pardon me Nayana, if I went overboard!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Tanya and thanks for stopping by and writing. All of the pots have holes, most of them didn't had holes and most containers are not even planters. I drilled the holes in them.
      Pottery, how exciting!! This is something I always wanted to do. I never plant in any planter that does not have a hole so I think if you are creating planters definitely create with holes.
      I always keep the transparent lids of the take out containers. Transparent lids that come on dosa batter container, on gulab jamun tins, i always save them to use them under the planters. So I put whichever suits best according to the size of planters :) hope this helps! Cant wait to see your pottery creations.

      Delete
  11. Well written post nayana...desperately trying to grow jade..one has survived. Hope it remains healthy.thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi Nayana , Thanks for writing this post .The tips will help to take care of my succulents better . Even my succulents would only survive for about the same time and gradually start rotting .you had mentioned about miracle grow soil . is it readily available at the nurseries ?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always had problems growing succulents like you. I would definitely try your tips.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good post.. Have been meaning to buy succulents for quite dome time.. Lemme give a try

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow loved them thanks for the tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good post....I have tried planting them couple of time but it didn't work. I think i need to get right soil for it. Thanks for sharing this.
    Deepi

    ReplyDelete
  17. Its such an honest and informative post. Thanks for posting. I am searching for some succulents in Mumbai :). Do the same rules apply to the jade plant?

    ReplyDelete
  18. OH MY.. your succulents look lovely.. I ventured on this journey with four succulents.. out of which I have only one left now.. so these tips are really really helpful.. And thank you for linking in :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful succulents! Thank you s much for stopping by MDC and your sweet comment.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for sharing tips Nayana. I have just bought two succulents and looking for the information. Your post will definitely help me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a feedback...I hope you enjoyed reading my blog!

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...